Thursday, July 2, 2009

AMBER: Final Thoughts…the good, the bad and the weird

Today is my last day in Germany.  I am sitting here going over in my head all of the experiences I have had. 

Magdeburg 2009 360

(Amber at the interactive museum in the Millennium Tower in Magdeburg)

The good:

Of course I have had a blast here in Germany!  I can now have a small small conversation in German with another German, I definitely could not do that before I left the states.  I spend an entire summer month in Europe!  How could I not have had fun?  We traveled to a lot of cites in Germany.  I got to see so much history with the old buildings and churches.  I finally met my German friend after emailing her for 3 or 4 years now.  Last night the weather was perfect and Jay, Kyle and I walk along the Elbe river after enjoying some German beer.  It was awesome.  This trip was filled with experiences like that.  I did not have my cell phone to worry about or work or anything! 

The bad:

There were some but not much bad times.  When we were on one of the trains, there was a drunk crazy German guy who had a crazy explosion right there near us.  That scared me so much.  What was worse, was I had my back facing him!  I could him going off behind me.  I did not want to turn around to see and risk making eye contact with this nut ball but I did not know what he was going to do!  Luckily Jay, our German teacher at home, had the idea for us to silently get up and move farther down the train.  Another time I got lost because the busses decided to go crazy and not go by the schedule.  There is now a creepy American staying at the hostel and creeping my friends out.  Kyle sort of forced me to talk to creepy dirty German guys.  They were nice but I did not want anything to do with them.  I am sure there is a couple other bad times I am forgetting but it was nothing major to ruin my time at all.  They will just make great stories for later. 

The weird:

Kel and I tried to order a beaker of wine and apparently accidently ordered a bottle.  So the waiter showed up with two bottles for us, and thought we were the biggest lushes!  Kel and I ended up sharing the bottle!  Kyle told me on this trip that the biggest way to learn a German word is to embarrass yourself.  Well, he was right!  I went in one time to buy a decoration plate, and I forgot the German word for plate.  I felt like such an idiot!  Well, I will never forget that word again!   There were some other times I did that and messed up a simple word, and I will never forget it!  My roommate is from Indonesia and she is Muslim.  That was a very interesting experience!  Their culture is so different from the American culture and we had to share a room together. 

I will leave this country with a laundry list of cool things, stories, and memories!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment